The cost of caring for someone with SMA can be quite overwhelming. Unfortunately there are many things insurance will only cover minimally or not at all. Items such as environmental or home modifications, vehicle modifications, transportation to/from appointments, assistive technologies, and other medical or quality of life expenses aren’t covered.
We have a couple of different avenues to securely donate to Alexander:
- Single or monthly by Credit/Debit card:
- Contribute directly to Alex’s ABLE account electronically using an e-check:
- Donate to the Van for Alex GoFundMe fundraiser directly:
- Replacement manual chair for building muscle strength, Panthera Bambino. Donated by CureSMA. YAY!
- Ramp installation for wheelchair access to our home. ($2,500) We did it! Thank You!
- Temporary van modification for external wheelchair transport. ($500) We did it! Thank You!
- Accessible Van to transport new Powered wheelchair. ($30,500)
- SMA Conference in 2019 ($1,500)
Where does the money go?
Alexander is the sole beneficiary of his own ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience Act, 2014) account. An ABLE account is a tax-sheltered savings account for individuals with disabilities. Contributions to Alex’s ABLE account are only dispersed for qualified disability expenses, such as: education, assistive technology, personal support services, health care expenses, and other expenses to support Alex’s independence. The ABLE account allows Alex to maintain his insurance coverage.
All money from fundraising will be deposited on Alex’s behalf to his ABLE account. Any fundraising purchase goals will be funded from this account as a qualified expense.
Please also consider donating directly to SMA research via the Cure SMA organization. If you would like to learn more or donate directly to support research and the cure, please visit http://www.curesma.org